When I was a kid, heck, even as an adult, my mom would make me a baked chicken and rice dinner. It was my favorite comfort meal. I vaguely remember my mom visiting when I was at college and then teaching my roommate how to make that dinner for me! It was one of those simple meals with rice, cream of mushroom soup (straight out of the can), I believe some onion soup seasoning and chicken. Easy peasy. Straight up comfort.
I don’t miss many too things from my “past life” prior clean eating, but I do miss that dinner. There was no stopping me on seconds and thirds when it came to that baked rice! When the cravings hit me for this comfort dish a couple of weeks ago, I knew I needed to create something that was similar.
While this isn’t spot on to the classic – I thought it was delicious. And apparently y’all thought it look delicious on instagram as well! I received several “When will this be on your blog?” and a few “GET INTO MY BELLY NOW!” comments. So here ya go!
There are a few things I want you to keep in mind when you make this recipes… As most of you know, when I cook, I just throw stuff into the skillet and hope it turns out. I lucked out with this one! In addition, remember that my husband is a plain-jane eater. So what I’m trying to say is that you may need to add more seasonings per your taste. When Michael is eating with me, I try to keep my seasoning usage to a minimum… when I’m the only one eating I dump as many spices and seasonings into a dinner as I can!
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1.5 cup Portobello Mushroom (cut into smaller pieces)
- 2 cups Shitiaki Mushrooms (cut into smaller pieces)
- 1 cup White Mushroom (cut into smaller pieces)
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Shallots (minced)
- 1.5 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1.5 tsp Granulated Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic Powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ½ cup of (sugar free, all natural ingredients) Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 5 TBSP of Heavy Coconut Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Coconut Oil (to grease baking dish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees F. Grease the baking dish with coconut oil. Place Chicken in dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper for a little extra seasoning. Bake chicken for 45 minutes or until internal temp = 165*F
- Chop your mushrooms, mince your shallot and garlic.
- In skillet or wok, sauté garlic, olive oil and shallot for 2 minutes on medium heat
- Add all mushrooms to wok. If necessary, drizzle a little more olive oil. Sauté on medium-high heat for approximately 4 minutes or until mushrooms become softer.
- Add broth and heavy coconut cream to the wok. Continue to blend all ingredients in the wok. The coconut cream and broth will begin to thicken up, making more of a creamy sauce/gravy.
- Add Salt, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder to mushroom sauce. Allow it to sit on a low heat for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- When chicken is cooked, pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Because my comfort dish wouldn’t be complete without some sort of rice, I prepared some Cauli-Rice to go with this dinner. (Don’t know how to make Cauliflower Rice? You can either google it or wait until next week… I will have a recipe here for you!) Simply lay the bed of Cauli-Rice on the plate, add the chicken and then dump as much of the scrumptious mushroom gravy/sauce on top of it as you want! I paired this dinner with steamed broccoli and carrots, and then a baked sweet potato.